According to doctors, the problems with the joints of the foot is common. And a significant part of these troubles has on arthritis, i.e. joint inflammation Tarsum, tarsal and toes. The causes of arthritis, unlike other articular pathologies, not necessarily related to age: the disease can occur equally in the elderly and very young.
Tarsum – five metatarsals, which are located between the tarsal bones and the phalanges of the fingers. Ante Tarsum– a collection of small bones between the bones of the tibia and Tarsum.
Causes of arthritis of the foot can be a lot, but most of them can be attributed to one of five diseases.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – an autoimmune disease. Arises from the fact that the immune system begins to perceive the cartilage cells of the joints as foreign. In contrast to rheumatic (infectious) variant of the disease affecting mainly large and medium-sized joints, rheumatoid arthritis prefers the small joints of the hands and feet. Suffer from it mostly people of middle age (35-45 years), women suffer three times more often than men.
- Gout – pathology, the main cause of which is the metabolism of uric acid and deposition of its salts (urate) in the joint cavities. Suffer mostly in the metatarsal phalangeal joints of both big toes, forming a "bone" or "bump" at the base of the thumb. May be affected and adjacent joints between phalanx, ankle, heel talus, and others. Most common in men older than 50 years.
- Osteoarthritis is secondary inflammation which occurs on the background of the degenerative process (arthrosis) – destruction of articular cartilage. The disease is typical for people of older age groups of both sexes.
- Reactive arthritis – immune pathology that develops after infection. Most often affects young men aged 20-40 years.
- Other forms of inflammation: traumatic, infectious and other, typical, however, not only for the joints of the foot.
Any arthritis of the joints of the foot is common symptoms is pain, swelling, redness, local rise in temperature and impaired function of the affected joints. It is possible to change gait.
- Rheumatoid arthritis affects the connective tissue of the entire body. With regard to the articular apparatus, the illness is chronic and always leads to deformation, that is, the foot ceases to be a full body support. The disease often causes disability and often leads to complete cessation of independent movement of the patient. Typical symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis of the foot:
- morning stiffness of small joints;
- fatigue and pain when walking;
- swelling (lumps) and skin redness in the affected area;
- pre-emptive defeat of symmetrical joints on both legs;
- long-term impairment of General health: the patient's condition is similar to the disease influenza (perhaps with a slight fever).
The diagnosis of "rheumatoid arthritis" can only put the doctor on the basis of special tests, the most important of which is the detection of a specific protein in the biochemical analysis of blood.
The symptoms of gouty arthritis big toe have the attack shaped the course and are characterized by a sudden very severe pain in the affected area (usually in the metatarsal phalangeal joint in the thumb area). The attack usually begins at night, develops quickly and lasts for several days or weeks (without any treatment). For gout is characterized by:
- Rapid increase of pain that can be unbearable and continue to grow at the slightest touch or movement of the thumb, as crystals of uric acid salts (the concentration of which in the joint cavity and causes heart attacks) have a notched edge.
- Quickly increasing swelling and redness, the appearance of the characteristic "bumps" at the base of the finger.
- The local temperature increase: the affected area of the body becomes hot to the touch.
Diagnosis of gout is usually straightforward to the doctor, because her appearance is quite typical. Confirms the diagnosis with a high level of uric acid in the blood.
Osteoarthritis, as mentioned above, is arthritis that develops on the background of osteoarthritis. Its manifestations is a common signs of inflammation of the joints, which we have already spoken.
In reactive arthritis, the patient almost always can recall that 3-4 weeks before the disease suffered intestinal or urogenital infection. This disease is characterized by General signs of articular inflammation and the involvement in the process around the joint tissues (ligaments, tendons, etc.).
Nonspecific inflammation of the joints of the foot (due to various reasons) are characterized by typical arthritis manifestations: pain, swelling, local redness and fever, impaired function of the limb. A common symptom of all forms of the disease is a disturbance of the gait (due to pain).
How to treat arthritis of the foot? Proper treatment of the specific forms of the disease (rheumatoid, gout) known only to specialists. Therefore, the suspicion of such pathology, the patient is immediately routed to the special tests that help to identify the specific protein or to determine the level of uric acid. Based on the test results and the symptoms, the doctor will prescribe a course of combined therapy.
- To relieve autoimmune inflammation is often prescribe hormones combined with non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs that can be injected directly into the joint cavity – it brings rapid relief.
- During an acute attack of gout uses of funds for the neutralization and excretion of excess uric acid.
- If diagnosed infectious variant of the disease – treatment of arthritis you should definitely start with the antibiotics.
- When all inflammatory diseases of the feet is important to respect the physical exertion and not to overload the sore joints.
For the treatment of gout special diet: need to reduce foods containing purines (what is synthesized uric acid). It's offal (liver, kidneys, etc.), legumes, fish (especially salt), bacon, smoked meats, aged cheeses and alcoholic beverages. Should eat plenty of greens (except sorrel and rhubarb), vegetables, fruits and cereals from whole grains. Especially useful millet porridge, boiled in water: it binds and excretes excess salts. It is important to drink a lot of water and green tea.
With any form of joint inflammation you should follow a diet that is rich in calcium (dairy products, sesame paste), chondroitin (marine fish, jellies, jellied dishes), minerals and vitamins. And here from excessive intake of simple carbohydrates and fats should be abandoned.
It is useful to assist the speedy recovery of the treatment of arthritis of the foot alternative and folk remedies.
From folk recipes that you can use at home, in chronic arthritis help foot bath with a strong solution of iodized salt, warming feet in the hot sand, and various warm compresses at night. In acute inflammation, especially pus, heat treatments are strictly contraindicated!
Inside use broth Linden, chamomile, St. John's wort: take 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon of herb brewed Cup of boiling water, insist and drink during the day. Courses of phytotherapy in the treatment of chronic inflammation and gout may last up to 1 year.
Another effective folk remedy is the mixture of carrot and cabbage juice (in equal shares). Drink 1 glass a day.
Remember that non-traditional methods may not be the only means of therapy: this is only a Supplement to the classical treatment. Be sure to consult with your doctor about your own treatment at home.
It is very important not to let arthritis of the foot take its course – then the complications can be avoided, and the former the mobility of your joints back.